Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Studying Social Sciences

I just started studying in a school that claims to be one of the best social science institutions in the world. And again, I'm starting to wonder whether I'm doing something "sufficiently challenging." I'm sure I'll be more challenged in the days to come, and I will be the one who will decide whether I use my brain just to get by or more. I know what I'm studying is interesting and important. I know that progress in no physical science would be possible without the rules and institutions shaped by law, political science and economics, all based on philosophy. But at times, I can't help but envy those who actually learn TO DO something. I'm envious of doctors, engineers, architects, businessmen, bankers, lawyers. I couldn't (or wouldn't, too, in some of these cases) be any of that after this point.

I know what I can't (or won't) do, but I have no idea as to what I will do, and I know I'm being a spoiled brat, but I'm not the only one around here. I feel like those of us who study social sciences, and who take it seriously, are learning how TO THINK properly, but we are quite unsure where to direct our energies. We are having difficulty to focus, and we are actually in desperate need of something concrete. I am, at least. But I suppose thinking within certain logical boundaries is an asset. Hopefully I will be able to utilize it in some valuable way soon that a rational employer will be willing to pay me.

No comments: